Looking for something for your kids to do, especially if you’re still dealing with the recreational restrictions of COVID-19 as you’re reading this? Do-it-yourself (DIY) dog toys are a great way, especially for kids, to be entertained, feel useful, increase their creativity and motor skills, and have even more fun times with your beloved family pooch. Read on for some simple (and inexpensive!) dog toys your kids can make.
Don’t Throw Out Your Old Towels!
It’s easy to either turn your old towels into rags or even throw them away, but don’t! Each old or tattered towel is free material for tug toys for Fido. Also, these tug toys are washable.
- Cut three strips of towel about four inches wide and at least twelve inches long. (Depending on your child’s age, you may need to do this part for them.)
- Now, tie one end of the strip (this should be about an inch wide and six inches long).
- Tie the other end.
Another Simple DIY Tug Toy
Contrary to popular belief, playing tug with your dog will not make them aggressive, but always monitor children when playing with toys with dogs. It’s a great way for pets (and kids!) to bond, think, and burn off excess energy. So, here’s another simple DIY tug toy.
- Tennis ball.
- Small piece of rope or an old piece of braided fabric.
- Good pair of scissors or drill.
- Cut or drill a hole into the tennis ball (again, you may need to do this part yourself depending on your child’s age).
- Thread the rope or fabric through the hole.
- Tie some knots to keep it in place.
- Tie a thick knot at each end, especially if your pooch is quite the chewer.
Simple Sock Toy
- Old sock.
- Water bottle.
- Cut a hole in the toe side of an old sock.
- Put a water bottle inside.
- Tie off each end with twine.
Really Simple Sock Toy
- Old sock.
- Soak an old sock in water.
- Freeze it.
Make sure your dog chews, but does not swallow any pieces of their chew toys, as this can be dangerous.
We hope these DIY dog toys will give you, your human children, and your canine children plenty of inexpensive, fun hours of play!